Running not only helps clear your mind, burn calories effectively but it also builds strength and endurance. Your body size, pace, and duration of your run might determine the number of calories you burn. It is free to step out in most estates, fields, paths, roads, and very affordable hobby in our parks. The Arboretum and Karura for example, It is amazing to see lots of Kenyans and people all over the world running. Maybe we should point the blame to Covid-19. Maybe not. Let us keep moving nonetheless, to boost our immunity through this crisis. A few reasons why should embrace running include,
CLEARS YOUR MIND.
- One of the best ways to unwind is to step out whether for just a walk, jog, or a run.
- It helps you focus, can improve your concentration but most importantly it clears your mind with every step you make.
- Gives you some kind of a high. Ask the addicts around you.
PROMOTES CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH.
- The heart is a muscle and great marathoners tend to have some real powerful hearts just because they run. Try, enroll for a full marathon and take it down in two hours and please let us know how that goes.
- For long runs, the heart rate stays elevated for a while and putting a strain on the lungs and blood vessels as well. It helps keep your engine serviced. You don’t need a mechanic, just run.
BUILDS STRENGTH AND ENDURANCE.
- High-intensity sprints or interval runs will not only improve cardio but build on muscular endurance.
- Running is a weight-bearing form of exercise that can help you stay lean. “Look at all the sportspeople around you, they do run a lot, don’t they?”
- Run to tone your entire lower body, calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, and the abdominal group of muscles.
- Incorporate your running plan with a strength program to stay injury-free.
- The more calories you keep burning as you run is a plus. Increased lean muscle improves your running performance.
BYE TO BELLY FAT.
- Belly fat isn’t just underneath your skin, it is also deep inside your body, around your vital organs (heart, liver, kidney, lungs, veins, and arteries).
- The more you have of it, the higher your risk of developing serious high blood pressure, diabetes, types of cancers, high cholesterol, and breathing difficulty.
- Combine running with a healthy low-calorie diet for effective weight loss and visceral fat loss. Say Bye-bye to belly fat.
DO IT SAFELY.
Seek pre-exercise screening or check-up with your doctor before you start.
Warm-up before you head out and stretch and cool down when you return.
Start with walking to brisk walking before you can jog or run. Build up gradually.
Hydrate before, during, and after your run, game or exercise.
Proper fit of a pair of comfortable running shoes with a shock-absorbing heel, flexible sole that can bend.
Wear layers of light bright colored fabrics. Have reflective gear.
Avoid peak periods and keep off dangerous isolated routes.
Have some company, a spouse, child, neighbor or dog can be of great support and motivation.
In case of injury, stop your running and seek medical advice.
Slow down and smell the roses once in a while. Don’t forget to have your rest and recovery as you run.